Our network

Former Searcy police chief accepts plea deal | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Former Searcy police chief accepts plea deal

SEARCY, Ark. (KTHV) - Nearly six months after former Searcy Police Chief Jeremy Clark resigned from his position, he was sentenced by a judge to one year probation.

"I think everybody is ready to move on and I am certainly ready to put it behind me," said former Searcy Police Chief Jeremy Clark.

It's a story that's been in the headlines for nearly six months, and Monday it ended in federal court.

Clark explained, "Just gonna try and learn from it."

Clark admitted his guilt of illegally obtaining hydrocodone without a prescription. It took just 30 minutes for a judge to conduct the plea deal and sentencing.

Clark was ordered to serve one year probation, pay a $1,000 fine, be stripped of his law enforcement certification, and be banned from having any firearms for a year.

Clark's lawyer Erin Cassenelli, said "I think it was best for Jeremy, for his family and for the city to move on. That was the primary reason that we resolved it this way with this misdemeanor."

The magistrate-judge also ordered drug testing and drug counseling. It's something Cassenelli says is routine.

"That is really just a standard issue of probation for anyone that comes through on a either a misdemeanor or a felony-- so that's not specific to Jeremy."

You may remember, Clark resigned from his position in March following accusations of abuse of power and violating firearms and controlled substance laws.

THV11's Ashley Blackstone asked him what he'd like to say to the people of Searcy.

"Ashley, I made a mistake, sorry I did, and certainly wish I could go back and undo it, but I can't."

The U.S. Attorney's office would not comment on the case but did say there will be no further charges.

As for what's next for Clark, "I've gotta find a job no one else wants," he said.

Because after 17 years, his days in law enforcement are over.

Eric Webb has been serving as Searcy Police Chief since Clark resigned in March. His position was made official in June. Webb has been in police work since 1988.

Related Links:

Searcy police chief resigns amid ATF investigation

ATF sheds light on possible violations uncovered in Searcy chief investigation

Agent: US prosecutor to get evidence about ex-police chief